Following a few simple changes to the way you prepare your food, this can have a massive effect on how healthy your diet is. The following guidelines will help you to prepare food and increase a healthier lifestyle.
Choose low-fat sources such as turkey, chicken very lean cuts of beef, fish, low-fat cheese, or soybean-based food products. Always try to have some protein already prepared in your refrigerator for easy snacking. This might include sliced turkey, cottage cheese, string cheese, tuna salad or even a tofu dip. This takes the urge off having a chocolate biscuit or eating a nasty bag of crisps.
Stock up on plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Frozen fruit and vegetables are usually quick-frozen from the best food picked and therefore usually have a higher vitamin content than fruit which has been shipped to the supermarket and sat on the shelf for a period of time. Irregular shaped fruit/veg are more than likely healthier and are cheaper in the supermarkets.
I get all of my clients to eliminate all breads, pasta and flour products; they are all bad for the gut. Carbohydrates such as black rice, quinoa, bulgur wheat, barley, buckwheat and millet are fantastic to have securely locked in the kitchen.
Use oils instead of butter. Olive oil is by far the best oil to use as it is rich in monounsaturated fats. This type of fat has no effect on insulin, and thus will be an integral partner in your battle against obesity. The best type of olive oil to cook with is not premium extra virgin olive oil but the considerably less expensive refined olive oil.
General Cooking Advice
- Try to bake, grill, poach or steam foods wherever possible.
- Try applying oils using a spray bottle and always use non-stick pans that use less oil.
- Substitute one and a half egg whites where whole egg is required.
- Use low fat yoghurt or fromage frais to replace sour cream or double cream.
- Use nuts sparingly.
- Use mayonnaise sparingly or substitute with low fat yoghurt or fromage frais.
- Use sea salt as an alternative to table salt.
- Make a white sauce with cornflour instead of margarine and flour.